Sunday, April 17, 2011

Tokina 16-28 2.8 for Canon- part 2

I took the lens out for a bouldering session this past weekend. This is one of the primary motivations for me to get this lens. I don't have any F22 off a tripod landscape shots simply because that is not my thing but this will give you a bit more insight into the lens anyway.
Pros:
-very sharp at 2.8 in the center. I have not evaluated the corners, edges, distortion, yet but I can tell you that it is tack sharp in the center.

-Very well built and feels solid and balances beautifully with my Mark IV

Cons:
The zoom action is opposite of every Canon Zoom. Virtually every time I went to zoom as I was shooting, I went the wrong way then had to correct it. Seems minor but if you are shooting action, it can mean a missed shot. I think with time this will be a non-issue but it bugged me on day one for sure.

The focus is noisy and buzzing. It seems to work fine but it certainly isn't a silent action like Canon.

These are minor nit picks for what I think is going to be a very good lens for me. Other wide angles that I have owned and can compare to are the Canon 17-40L F4 and Tokina 11-16 2.8
I think the sharpness and IQ are on a par with either lens after only a little bit of use. Having another stop of light compared to the 17-40 is a must for me and the 11-16 only fits an APS_C sensor. The only other option out there is the Canon 16-35 2.8 and for the price difference, The Tokina so far is the hands down winner.

Here is a shot from the weekend
Camera Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Exposure 0.004 sec (1/250)
Aperture f/4.0
Focal Length 24 mm
ISO Speed 400

and another wide open
Camera Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Exposure 0.001 sec (1/800)
Aperture f/2.8
Focal Length 28 mm
ISO Speed 200

No comments:

Post a Comment