Friday, September 16, 2011

Strobist sports shooting

Click the image to see it larger

The above shot is from a series I am doing for the high school which will become motivational posters. For this shot, I used an Einstein 640 into a large softbox just to the camera left. I was using a sync cord to fire that. Another 640 was back and camera right of the subject to add a rim light.
The location is important for this shot. The sun you see in the background was intense. We had to find a shady spot so that I could control the light. We found a little trail that had decent shade. To set the actual shot up, I simply took a reading of the ambient using my in camera meter. I wanted to be around F5.6-8 to get decent DOF and still blur the distant background. I also had to keep it within the sync speed of my camera (about 1/250). I then adjusted the main light to match the ambient by having the runner stand in place as I shot and chimped. Once that was set, I dialed the rim light in two stops under that softbox setting (still a bit too high as you can see). The rim light was triggered with a skyport radio trigger. After that it was simply try a few different angles with the subject running at me. I think that they came out nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment