Tuesday, September 18, 2012

New weapon in the arsenal coming...

I have been laboring over what if any piece of equipment would allow me to do better work or give my clients better images. On the short list is a 400mm 2.8 lens, the 70-200 2.8 IS II lens, and the forthcoming 24-70 2.8 II lens. Each of these are amazing lenses by all reports and would allow me to capture measurably better images than right now (I have the focal distances covered but with older lenses or teleconverters,etc.).
The thing is, I can still capture those images now so with those lenses ranging from $2300.00 to $11,000 (for a new 400 2.8) is it worth it?
As primarily a sports shooter, the one thing I cannot handle is when action comes at me so quickly that I don't have time to change lenses. I shoot with a 1D Mark IV...no second body.
With that little epiphany, I realize that a second body can in fact get me images that I cannot even capture now at all. I also am asking for trouble when shooting weddings (even though I always shoot with a partner).

That is a long-winded rationalization for what is coming in the mail tomorrow. A brand spanking new 5D Mark III from Adorama. This camera with its new AF will serve well as a second sports body. With its full frame 21mp sensor it can be my ideal portrait body. With its great high ISO performance it can be my ideal event body...Woot Woot.
Here is a link to a review below. I will post my impressions after a week or two of using it.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Digital SLR Camera Review
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-DSLR-Camera-Review.aspx

The digital picture is a great source for all things Canon and beyond. Great in depth reviews, news, etc. check it out. www.the-digital-picture.com

No comments:

Post a Comment