Sunday, January 10, 2010

Mark IV thoughts


Tonight I got a chance to shoot with a Mark IV camera side by side with my Mark III. Monty Rand http://www.montyrand.com/ was extremely generous in lending it to me for a UMaine Basketball game.
The first image was shot with the following settings:
Camera: Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Exposure: 0.002 sec (1/640)
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 105 mm
ISO Speed: 6400

The second image was taken with a Mark III and with the same exact settings.

In the next day or so I will be posting my thoughts about the new Mark IV
STAY TUNED!!



UPDATE 3/5/2011
I never followed up on this blog. Oh well. So I have owned a Mark IV for over a year now and it is an improvement over the mark III in every respect. The AF is better, the IQ is better. The high ISO is about a 2/3 stop improvement despite having a greater than 50% increase in Megapixels (10mp to 16mp)
best upgrades:
orientation sensitive AF point- a must have for a sports shooter
AF performance is more reliable in good to relatively low light (ISO 6400 1/640 2.8)

Least impressive upgrade:
poorly implemented auto ISO. Until you can dial in exposure comp in M mode, it is basically useless to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment