Saturday, January 9, 2010

What to do when shooting is impossible?


One of my jobs is working as the photographer for the University of Maine athletic department. It is fun, challenging and has given me the opportunity to learn a lot about sports photography. One thing that never gets talked about is when getting a good shot is really not feasible.
One such location is the Memorial Gymnasium at the University. The light in there is absolutely horrible. I was shooting a track meet and as you can imagine, these athletes move fast! In the past I have brought in strobes to light certain events but many of the events don't allow flash use because of the distraction. The high jump is one such example.
So the choice is give up or simply work with what you have. This high jumper was doing the rather archaic Fosbury flop which I haven't seen very often and I really wanted to get a shot of her but here is the kicker:
Camera: Canon EOS-1D Mark III
Exposure: 0.004 sec (1/250)
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 135 mm
ISO Speed: 6400
those are my setting from this shot. Now as you can see I am at ISO 6400...the camera won't go higher than that. the shutter speed is at 1/250 which to freeze action is already too slow and at F2.8 I am not getting a lot in focus. I could have gone to F2 since I was shooting with Canon's amazing 135mmL F2 lens (worth every penny if you can use the focal length) http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/112539-USA/Canon_2520A004_Telephoto_EF_135mm_f_2_0L.html
but then my DOF would have been really razor thin..not that there is much in sharp focus in this image : )
It is always nice to nail the sharp image of an athlete in the perfect moment. That challenge keeps sports shooters doing what they do. However, there is something really nice about an image that conveys the movement, speed, and action. That is what I had to try to get with this series because getting a sharp image was simply out of the question.
When I was shooting the high jumpers the above settings were used and I panned the camera at times and then prefocused on the bar at other times.

In post, I knew I couldn't save the image in terms of clarity so instead I enhanced what it did have..movement.
I added another layer in photoshop and put in some motion blur to exagerate the movement a lot. Then I added a layer filter to bring back some definition to her face. I liked the result and it also gave me something rather than walking away saying it was impossible.

3 comments:

  1. Nice job! You continually show that high iso is possible even without the 5d Mark II

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive shot considering the conditions... I like how you still were able to maintain some sharpness on the athlete's face. One thing to mention though, I think the Fosbury flop is the traditional high jump technique, and this is something different.

    -K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey guys!!
    You are correct Kevin. I was mistaken in that I thought this was the flop. I don't know what they call this but it is dated technique for sure.
    cheers,
    P

    ReplyDelete